Math and Reading Tutors/Enrichment Leaders (Work-Study Only)
Math and Reading Tutors/Enrichment Leaders - Eugene School District 4J BEST Afterschool Program (Work-Study Only)
Hear about the program from current students from our last interest meeting OR sign up to come to our next interest meeting on 3/10/22
Join the 4J BEST Afterschool Program team for just a term or even your entire UO career!
You will develop your leadership skills and impact the lives of underserved students at one of 7 Eugene School District 4J schools—Cesar Chavez, River Road/El Camino del Rio, Howard, McCornack, Willagillespie and Holt elementary schools and Kelly Middle School. Must be able to work at least one of four days Monday through Thursday after school between the hours of 2:25 p.m. and 6 p.m., depending on the site.
Compensation: $15/hour (paid through the Federal Work Study Program)
Specific job skills:
· Teach math and/or reading under the supervision of district staff
· Receive training to boost academic performance and support student growth
· Assist in supervision at recess and dinner and during enrichment activities
· Develop and lead classes and activities (depending on the needs of the program)
· Experience, education and/or training working with youth
· Experience, skills and/or abilities working with a diverse, multi-cultural population
· Ability to creatively problem solve and communicate effectively with adult team members and students
· Demonstrate adaptability and initiative.
· Develop your professional skills as an educator
· Cultivate your communication and problem-solving skills working with a staff team and empowering youth
· Increase your capacity to serve marginalized communities more effectively.
“As a child, I participated in BEST as an elementary and middle school student. Now that I am part of the staff, it is very cool that I can create those real connections with the kids and help them have the kind of positive experience I had as a kid.” –Shane Kreger, BEST-UO work study tutor at Chavez Elementary and was an assistant to the art educator who led a Reimagining Monuments class at BEST in spring 2021
NOTE: BEST hiring staff can help students set up carpools with students working at the same sites if available. Students are also encouraged to use the public transportation system or alternative modes of transportation.
About Eugene School District 4J - BEST Afterschool Program
BEST Afterschool Program provides small group academic intervention in math and reading; enrichment classes, offered in partnership with dozens of community partners; and a warm meal in seven 4J elementary and middle schools, including River Road/El Camino del Rio, McCornack, Howard, Holt, Willagillespie, and Chavez elementary schools and Kelly Middle School. Funded in part by a 21st Century Community Learning Center grant and Title I funding, BEST has been empowering underserved students and families in Eugene since 2000. For more information, visit 4j.lane.edu/instruction/best, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541.760.6199.
In collaboration with community partners, BEST aims to engage youth in academic and enrichment opportunities that foster self-confidence, determination, a joy of learning, and a sense of community.
BEST strives to provide enriching afterschool programs for all students in need of expanded learning opportunities in our community. We will work to:
· Foster mutually respectful relationships that honor student voice in decision making.
· Boost academic achievement for all students.
· Create an environment that supports necessary positive youth development.
· Continually adapt program to empower students in becoming viable citizens of the 21st century.